Our homes are our sanctuary. We want a safe, clean place that not only looks good but smells good too. One thing that can trigger odors and also make us sick is mold. Here are a few ways to prevent the excessive growth of mold in the home and how to clean it up fast.
Common Causes of Mold Growth
Some of the most common indoor molds are Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium. Spores can easily grow rapidly in your home under the right conditions. Mold spores begin to drop in places where excess moisture is found. This is common where there is condensation buildup, due to temperature fluctuations and pooling water. For example, if you have a roof leak, water damage can occur. From that, mold can grow and spread within the walls and frame of the home. The underlying issue will have to be fixed, along with any repairs to damaged or decaying wood or materials.
How To Tell if You Have a Mold Problem
From there, mold gives off a pungent, earthy odor that is easy to detect. The first step is pinpointing the root of the problem. Sometimes, mold grows indoors for no apparent reason. It could be from improper ventilation and insulation or windows that have excessive condensation buildup. Mold spores can be found anywhere, but they are especially common on walls, carpeting, and building materials.
In addition to an earthy odor, mold appearance is easy to recognize. It can appear fuzzy or raised with irregular spots. Most molds are black and color, but they can also have hints of white and gray mixed in.
Large quantities of mold spores can trigger upper respiratory illness. This includes:
- Red and watery eyes
- Itchy skin
- Trouble breathing and excessive cough
If you are experiencing chronic upper respiratory problems, mold could be the underlying trigger.
Getting Rid of Mold
Small quantities of mold in a damp area, such as a bathroom, can be easily eliminated with a mold-fighting cleaner. The CDC recommends one cup of household bleach to a gallon of water for cleanup. Use only in a well-ventilated area to prevent harm to your respiratory tract.
If the mold problem is widespread or you are unable to clean it yourself, it's time to call in the pros. A professional who specializes in residential mold prevention and residential mildew prevention will be able to tackle a large mold infestation safely.
Whether you feel you can tackle it on your own, or you're thinking you might need assistance with home mold prevention, the goal is to stop spores in their tracks. A home that is free of excessive mold and mildew buildup will create a beautiful and healthy space for everyone to enjoy.
Reach out to a company like Household Environmental to find out more.